Do you think that the distinction of levels encourages pupils to learn?

Thu 27 November 2008: ORAL EXAMINATION


Today they had to bring their own project, in paper format, into words. This was the oral examination that Marta and I had to supervise. I was going to do an exam! But not as a pupil anymore! I was the teacher and they were looking at me like... "But Maria, didn't you say that you weren't going to avaluate us...? You lied..." No, but I hadn't. I was sitting next to Marta, giving my opinions, but when it was time to mark them... I was so indulgent... I said "He was so good... An a student", "Oh, she's amazing. Give her an A..." Well, so, it is not as easy as it seems... And let alone for me, since I haven't seen their progression... I've seen some but I didn't know the original level they had and... in some cases it was astonishing! Some students that had arrived with a D level, had improved soooo much, and in the oral exam it had already been visible. It's so comforting when you see that someone has certainly made the effort... and you have to give them something back so that they'll keep studying and motivated. It's good to see encouraged students that have a spark in their eyes and give the teacher their best smile when they hear "Congratulations! Very good!".

It was a good experience. On Tuesday I start my Curricular Unit. I hope they continue having these glittering eyes... I'm so in love with these children. They're so grateful.

No comments: