Do you think that the distinction of levels encourages pupils to learn?

Monday, 27th October --> My first day in Viladecans

Well, that is only the title of my blog, but to get there... Oh my God! I had to get to Vilanova i la Geltrú to realise I was getting closer and closer to my region...! Anyway, like always, I got it wrong due to my improving-but-still-not-sufficient orientation sense, but well, at least now I know better the line Barcelona-Sant Vicenç de Calders. Beautiful views!! Sitges, V. i la Geltrú, amazing! Really beautiful spots we have! Nice to meet you, Garraf!

So, I rang my coordinator, lovely she showed herself already, and she told me not to "amoïnar-me", so, luckily, I managed not to do so and, after asking how to get to Viladecans and after having seen that everyone except us (a friend came with me, our friendship shows in the very difficult times, you know) knew where Viladecans was and why we arrived in V. i la Geltrú (and on top of that, the name is long! It's quite tricky!) we didn't feel very released. After staring (because we were already in this state) at a map, we realised we had been sooo borinots that now we had to go back and back and back, 30 more minutes, and then we would get to Viladecans --as long as we took the train that stopped in eeeeeeeeeeevery station!-- Ok, resignation.

Once we got there we "had a walk" (always enjoying these days' nice cement...) and after asking (the interrogation day it seemed) to some very Spanish business man, we saw it! A beautiful image: the secondary school was in the middle of the street's still-not-finished-and-don't-you-dare-to-ask-why cement buildings and this week's grey sky.

I read the "IES de Sales" inscription and got in... Marta Larregola? I had to meet her here about 45 minutes ago... Oh yes, I've let her know... 50 minutes ago... mhm...

Cool and dandy, safe and sound, it all went smooth from that moment on. I spent with her one hour and a half maybe, til she had to have lunch and afterwards she had to give a lesson. But we were together the rest of the morning (there was still something left! You don't realise, til something like that happens, how long one day can be!:)

She explained me how they classified kids. They had 4 groups of each level. A, B, C or D, depending on your stengths and weaknesses; how they worked (they do a lot more than the text book or work book itself! A lot means here, really a veeeery huge amount of worksheets of video and podcasts activities, computer activities, self-learning exercises... You can't imagine). Furthermore, this high school is going to be on TV on Thursday (tomorrow) after the most hilarious programme on TV -- Polònia. So, if you want to get to know some more of their innovative way of teaching: "La televisió del país, 22.50 - Teaching in debate".

By the way, children... We visited other classes with another professor that is teaching 2nd ESO, (I will have the group 1st ESO A and also 4th ESO C) but, that was interesting to see how kids behave and figure out how mines would the following day when I would be there. ¿Esa, quién e'? asked a little boy and so on and so forth I was getting more and more immersed in the teaching atmosphere and also more and more nervous every time it came to my mind that it was me who was going to do the same as the courageous teacher I was looking stunningly at the same next day.

Thank you a lot, Marta. She told me she loved teaching and helping people that wanted also to become teachers one day and, that is why she was there. More relaxed I took the train TO BARCELONA, this time was easier, but still I was in the wrong platform and... well, enough is enough. I'm not very good at directions in general...

However, beautiful an experience that was! And after yesterday I am already looking forward to go back to school... as a teacher of course!

No comments: